Friday, February 1, 2013

2/2/13- Need for God


“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful.You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:1-5)

Thoughts: In this parable it is clear that the gardener doesn't need the vine as much as the branches need the vine and the gardener.  God desires us- and made us for a reason, but we desperately need His care and tending.  In Jesus Christ the owner of the vineyard has come down to show His great and particular care.  He does not stay aloof, simply letting stewards care for His creation.  Christ came that we may know of His care and that we might have fruitful lives. Christ says apart from Him we can do nothing- but with Him we come alive and bear fruit- and nothing is impossible with Him!

Prayer: Lord, may I see my need to rely and depend on you.  


God has no need of anyone or anything beyond Himself. Yet in grace this Triune God is the one Creator of all things. The ongoing act of creation is further manifested in God’s gracious sovereignty and providence, maintaining the existence of the world and all living creatures for the sake of His own glory.  He is the Holy One, the ground of all being, whose glory is so great that for us to see Him is to die. Yet He has made the creation to reflect His glory, and He has made human beings in His own image, with a unique desire to know Him and a capacity for relationship with Him. Since our God is a consuming fire whom we in our sin cannot safely approach, He has approached us by entering into our humanity in Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment