Monday, April 15, 2013

4/15/13- Prayer in Suffering


Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger
    or discipline me in your wrath.
Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint;
    heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
My soul is in deep anguish.
    How long, Lord, how long?
Turn, Lord, and deliver me;
    save me because of your unfailing love.
Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
    Who praises you from the grave?
I am worn out from my groaning.
All night long I flood my bed with weeping
    and drench my couch with tears.
My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
    they fail because of all my foes.
Away from me, all you who do evil,
    for the Lord has heard my weeping.
The Lord has heard my cry for mercy;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
    they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame. (Psalm 6)

Thoughts: This poor person is in terrible shape.  Keep in mind this person didn't have the pain pills available to us now.  They had to face pain head on.  The Psalmist was up all night crying, and is worn out with groaning.  This character was hurting deep in his bones and worse enemies were taunting probably saying God was angry with this person. 
     But the sufferer finds hope- first hope is found in praying to God for mercy and healing (vs. 2). Those who do not believe do not have this hope.  Beyond the doctor the one who doesn't believe has no one on whom to call for real help. The sufferer appeals secondly to God's faithfulness and unfailing love.  Thirdly there is bargaining with God- saying who will praise you here on earth after they are dead.  The sufferer was asking God to heal so they might praise God later.  Fourthly is found  assurance and hope knowing that God has heard the prayer.  Note- the Psalmist doesn't say that God has answered his prayer in the way that is wanted.   The only things said is that God has heard and accepts the prayer.  
    This is clearly an example of what faith can do for us.  it is not the same as positive or wishful thinking.  It is an assurance that there is really someone outside of us who is able to come in and help.  When we are in the throes of pain- and we all will be there one day- we should not downplay the importance of calling out to God and knowing He will hear us.

Prayer: Lord, hear my prayer.  Give me grace this day to know that I do not face my troubles alone.  May your assurance give me renewed strength. 

(William Vincent Van Gogh's person in pain)


No comments:

Post a Comment