Monday, April 15, 2013

4/16/13- The Defeat of Evil

I am worn out calling for help;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
    looking for my God.
Those who hate me without reason
    outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
    those who seek to destroy me.But as for me, afflicted and in pain—
    may your salvation, God, protect me.I will praise God’s name in song
    and glorify him with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an ox,
    more than a bull with its horns and hooves.The poor will see and be glad
    you who seek God, may your hearts live!The Lord hears the needy
    and does not despise his captive people.Let heaven and earth praise him,
    the seas and all that move in them,for God will save Zion
    and rebuild the cities of Judah. (Psalm 69)

Thoughts: What did the eight year old boy who died in Boston do to the person who set that bomb?  Perhaps the people of Boston are saying, "why do these people hate me without reason?"  Why are strangers from North Korea trying to send nuclear armed missiles to the continental United States (thank God they cannot do this yet).  Hate and evil seem so powerful and strong some times.  Yet evil is not conquered by surrendering to it.  It is conquered by loving and spreading love.  So the Psalmist does not stop the practice of his faith- but ratchets it up praising God.  The writer is also confident that God hears, will save, and will rebuild.  We need to have a faith like this in the face of evil given without cause.  In the end, God wins and evil is defeated. 

Prayer:  Today, Lord we pray for the people of Boston.  We pray for their peace and safety.  We ask you to comfort those who mourn.  May evil, wrong, and destruction be defeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment