Monday, April 7, 2014

4-7-14 Questioning of Jesus

19Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
20“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. 21Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.”
22When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby slapped him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded.
23“If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?” 24Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.
(John 18:19-24)

Thoughts:  The high priest was asking Jesus not only about his teaching, but about his disciples.  He may have wanted to know who and how many.  He was trying to snuff out this group.  Jesus, in response, did not want to answer at all.  He knew they were not really interested in His teaching, They were only interested in attacking Him.  Jesus wanted His actions and His effect on His disciples to speak for themselves.
    Paul was once struck for defending himself to the high priest.  Jesus is also struck.  Jesus did not attack the high priest.  When they struck Jesus, they struck the Great High Priest.  God does not need to defend Himself.  In the end God wins without striking back.  The cross was not overcome on the battlefield, but with the resurrection. 
There are many who, like the High Priest, question the teaching of Jesus and the effect He has had on His followers.  For those who really don't want answers- but just want to interrogate in order to make themselves feel better in their sin- there is no good answer.  We must leave God to give them the answer that they deserve.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to know when to speak and when not to speak.  Help me to trust my defense, my reputation, and myself into your care.  


No comments:

Post a Comment