Sunday, April 20, 2014

Thomas- My Lord and my God- 4-20-14

24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20)

Thoughts:  There is so much skepticism in our world.  But skepticism is not an option.  I can remember my two year old girl once telling me she didn't want to eat her supper.  When I asked her if she would eat anything she said, "No!" If I asked her if I could do anything or take her anywhere to make her happy she said, "No! No!  No!"  Skepticism is saying no, but it doesn't really give us any meaning, any hope, any reason love is better than hate.  Skepticism is the attitude that "You have to prove it to me... I won't believe it if I don't see it." 
This was Thomas's problem.  Thomas earlier had inquired of Jesus to tell them the way.  He had said he would go to Jerusalem to die with Jesus.  Thomas eventually here worshiped Christ as his Lord and God- and Christ accepted his worship.  Then he said blessed are those who do not see but believe anyway. 

    We are called to believe more than we can see.  We know there is more out there than what we can see.  Before we discovered microscopes we did not know about germs and bacteria.  Before we discovered telescopes we did not know about other planets and stars that we could not see.  There is simply more over the horizon than we can see.  As Augustine said, "i BELIEVE IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND."  Christians do not walk by sight alone- but by faith. 

Prayer: My Lord, and My God!  Help me to give myself to you in worship and praise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment