Tuesday, April 1, 2014

4/1/14- April Fool's Day

6“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. (John 17:6-12)

Thoughts: A fool is a person who spurns wisdom and therefore spurns God.  It is the fool who does not believe in God or does not follow in God's ways.  Judas was the fool who had not only turned away from Jesus- but betrayed Him.  He was, according to verse 12, "doomed to destruction."  There is a fool in every crowd, and perhaps on April Fool's Day we can remember the biggest real fool of all, Judas. 
      But this passage focuses on a prayer Jesus made.  He is praying not for everyone, but those whom the Father had given Him.  All those who follow Christ are given to the Father.  Just as a good Prince would give his men to the King.
    Jesus is concerned with their protection (vs. 11) because His disciples remain in a dangerous and evil place (vs. 10).  The goal of Jesus' protection is not individualism, but togetherness and fellowship.  His prayer is that they may be One as He is one with the Father.  Judas is the one who lost fellowship with the Lord and lost fellowship with the disciples.  


Prayer: Lord, protect me from evil hurt and harm that I may be a part of your Church and be one with you and my brothers and sisters.  



No comments:

Post a Comment