Saturday, December 20, 2014

12/21/14- Jesus the Bread

12/21     John 6:35             I am the Bread
34Then they said to Him, "Lord, always give us this bread." 35Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.



Thoughts: Bethlehem means "House of Bread."  Bethlehem was the place that the Bread of Life was born.  Once people were looking for Jesus because he had given them free bread (feeding of the 5,000).  Many a ruler over the years fed the poor to keep them happy and loyal.  When they came to make Him king, he refused, for he knew it was temporary loyalty.  The popularity of rulers waxes and wanes.  
They even tried (vs. 30-31) to trick Jesus into giving them more bread like Moses gave the Israelites in the wilderness. Jesus was trying to get them to look to the eternal and not the temporary bread.  They sought only what would satisfy their immediate needs.  Jesus knew He could satisfy their deep inner needs for eternity (vs. 35).  Let us look to Jesus, and keep our eyes on Him- without distraction. 
       This time of year people are thinking a lot about presents.  Who did I leave out, what did I get everyone, and will I have enough “bread” to pay my bills.  This passage reminds us that if we have little physical bread we may still be blessed and have satisfaction from God. 

Prayer: Bread of Heaven, come down to me as you came that first Christmas.  Make my life more whole and satisfy me with you- the true satisfaction.


Application: Make a gift to We Care, Goodworks, or Snackpack to help those who are physically hungry in the name of the One who can satisfy their spiritual hunger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment