Monday, December 1, 2014

12/2/14 Jesus the Gate

12/2- I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. (John 10:9).

Thoughts: The seven “I am sayings” of Jesus are an essential element to the Gospel message.  It is not a secondary addition but the framework around which everything else is built.  Belief in the identity of Jesus with the identity of the God who describes Himself as “I am who I am” (Ex. 3:14) is important.  Interestingly, God the Creator describes Himself with His own “I am saying in Exodus 3 when He says, “I am concerned” (3:7).  God is concerned about our slavery to sin and oppression in this world.  This is why He comes down to be a gate to heaven. 
       In John 10 Jesus was speaking about being the shepherd of His flock- His sheep.  The shepherds in Bethlehem would have stone walled corals to keep the sheep safe at night.  They would lie down at the entrance to be the living gate for the sheep.  Jesus is the living gate who keeps out evil and keeps us in His care.  He is the One who leads us to the safety of heaven, and the safety of His care on earth.  He is the One who is our protector from evil without and keeps us in His care.  Get in the Spirit of the season by inviting another to join you in the flock- inviting them to an event- a party or a worship service.
 

Prayer:  Lord, my keeper, help me to come to you as my way in and my protector.  Give me grace to remember you are the gatekeeper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment