Thursday, April 23, 2015

4-24-14- What About the Other Guy?

20Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”) 21When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”
22Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”23Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” (John 21)

Thoughts: We are sometimes too curious.  The lesson here is not what will happen to the apostle John.  Jesus does care for John.  He was the only apostle to not die in martyrdom, though he was in exile.  The real lesson is we should focus more on our responsibility to our Lord.  We are not called to judge one another, or worry about another's end.  Jesus reminded Peter- his responsibility is to follow Him- no matter what.  

Prayer: Lord, forgive me when I take my eyes off you by looking to others.  Help me instead to follow you with full focus.  


No comments:

Post a Comment