Wednesday, April 1, 2015

4/2/15 The Service of Christ

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. (John 13:12-17)

Thoughts: The Lord God Almighty in the flesh did the work of a slave and asks us to follow His example. Jesus did not mince any words- He made the claim that He has the right to teach them what is right and the claim to be their lord in setting the example.  We are servants of the Great Servant.  Nothing is too low for us to do for Him.  No amount of pride is too small or great to swallow.  The greatest service to us was dying a criminal's death.  It was a humble death but it was also a death with the dual importance.  It was as humble a death as could be and it was as important a death as it could be.  It was The Passover Lamb's death (1 Cor. 5:7; John 1:9).  His death sets us free from death.  It was just another human death (simple and unimportant), but it was the God-man (so complex and very important).  His death is the ultimate service- the full extent of his love (13:1).  The love is not shown in washing feet or even serving.  The full extent of His love is shown by giving Himself for us on the cross.  The service of Christ is a service of sacrifice and dying to self.  The ministry is not just another job- it is a service that leads to sacrifice and death of self. 

Prayer: Lord, let me serve, but let me give myself fully to you- in good and bad times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment