Friday, October 9, 2015

10-10 Day 3 ENGAGE- PURPOSE AT lmpc

Day 3 – Purpose of Engage! at LMPC  - Matthew 28:18-19 -  A Reflection by Tracie Stewart
Most people do not know that I was actually ordained as an evangelist. In 1995 the week before Thanksgiving my husband and I were given a lovely gift by a friend from seminary. We had no church as we had been called as church planters. So our friend and his wonderful church treated us to a lovely Thanksgiving meal complete with these elegant centerpieces that stood several feet tall. We had just moved ten hours from home and knew few people. Yet the church and the presbytery turned out in droves and that act of opulent hospitality and kindness will forever shape my ministry. As hands were laid upon us and the prayers for ordination pronounced, I had received a powerful gift of the love of God’s people and a lesson on evangelism.

Years later I still have an evangelist’s heart. God has blessed me so bountifully I cannot imagine not having the comfort, joy, and peace that Jesus offers. That fall night in West Tennessee with both words and deeds, the Presbytery of Memphis and the First Presbyterian Church of Brownsville showed how to spread the Good News of Christ and commissioned Brian and me to do the same. I think that it one of the reasons I feel so at home at LMPC and enjoy my ministry here.

You too have the hearts of evangelists. In a world where churches are closing each day and a denomination that is losing members, you are growing – both in numbers and discipleship. You have a heart to serve others and that shows in your history. In only forty years you have grown in a relatively rural setting to be a congregation of over 1200.  Think of all the babies we have baptized in just the past few years! Many churches are struggling and we just completed a new Children’s Ministry Building and have filled it with those little ones that Jesus loves so much.

It seems to me in this 40th Anniversary year of LMPC that it is so appropriate that it is our Year of Service and Witness – because this is who you are as a people of God. And I am excited as we move into the next 40 years for this Engage! program to help us bear even more faithful witness to Jesus Christ!  Jesus Himself instructed us in His last words on this earth to “go and make disciples.” And best of all He promised us He would always be with us both in this task and always.  Let us Engage! in carrying out His Great Commission ever more faithfully and effectively.


18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment