Sunday, December 10, 2017

Listening to God

12/10- Why is Talking and Listening to God important?  John 14:21

Read: “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.  He who loves me will be loved of my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”  (John 14:21)
“I am the Lord’s servant.  May it be to me as you have said.”  (Luke 1:38)
“When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.”  (Matthew 1:24)

Thoughts: We talk to God in prayer.  We listen to God through God’s Word- which is the Spirit speaking through the Bible.  We believe the Bible is not just a history book or a record of how people loved God years ago.  We believe the scriptures are written for human beings to convey God’s purpose and will for us.  Therefore it is important to read the Bible- or Bible story books.  There are great Bible apps (like the Youversion Bible apps), that can be on your smartphone, ipad or computer.  When we love God we are called to listen to Him- just like when you love someone here on this earth you want to listen to them.


Activity: In the room you are in, have one person start singing, “Old McDonald had a farm” over and over, turn up two music players (phone or something else), one TV (if in the room),then try to tell each person in the room one thing you like about them.  Now turn it all off- yes the singing too- and try to say the same thing.  When there is a lot of noise we call those things distractions.  Many things can distract us from hearing God today.  Make sure you make non-distracted space to listen to God and the Bible each day. 

Prayer: Thank you God that you listen to me.  Help me to listen to you through your Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment