Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Psalm in 2 Samuel

1David sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. 2He said:
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
3my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shielda and the hornb of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
from violent people you save me.
4“I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and have been saved from my enemies.
5The waves of death swirled about me;
the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
6The cords of the grave coiled around me;
the snares of death confronted me.
7“In my distress I called to the Lord;
I called out to my God.
From his temple he heard my voice;
my cry came to his ears.
8The earth trembled and quaked,
the foundations of the heavensc shook;
they trembled because he was angry.
9Smoke rose from his nostrils;
consuming fire came from his mouth,
burning coals blazed out of it.
10He parted the heavens and came down;
dark clouds were under his feet. (2 Samuel 22)

Thoughts: This is a Psalm right in the middle of 2 Samuel.  So many of the Psalms can find their beginnings and similarities in this chapter. This is almost the essence of Davidic Psaltry.  God is our rock in our distress sounds like Psalm 46: "God is our refuge and strength an ever-present help in trouble."  "In my distress I called to the Lord"  Sounds like Psalm 34 " I sought the Lord and he heard me and delivered me from all my fears."  These verses echo in the human heart as humans can count on experiencing distress in this life.  Yet we can also experience God's help if we will but call out to Him.  

Prayer: Lord, when you come the earth splits and melts.  Nothing can withstand your power and presence.  Help me to remember that- you are Lord and worthy of my praise, attention, and life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment