Monday, May 14, 2018

Saul's Excuses

Saul remained at Gilgal, and all the troops with him were quaking with fear. 8He waited seven days, the time set by Samuel; but Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and Saul’s men began to scatter.9So he said, “Bring me the burnt offering and the fellowship offerings.” And Saul offered up the burnt offering. 10Just as he finished making the offering, Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to greet him.
11“What have you done?” asked Samuel.
Saul replied, “When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Mikmash, 12I thought, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the Lord’s favor.’ So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering.”
13“You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. (1 Samuel 13)

Thoughts:  Saul's would give into men's pressure rather than wait on the Lord.  He would assume the role of a priest when he had no authority of the priest.  When Samuel did come (as promised on the seventh day), Saul presented him excuses instead of asking for mercy.  Saul believed in God but thought he was in charge and had to take things under his own control.  "When I saw the men scattering and the Philistines assembling and you weren't coming..."  He could have added, "I panicked."  But instead he tried to justify the holy ends (seeking God's favor) by unholy means. 
     David also sinned. Perhaps clearer than Saul.  But David always repented and ask for God's forgiveness.  Psalm 51 records an example, "Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me.  Take not your Holy Spirit from me... against you and you only have I sinned."  Every king, every subject sins.  But what do we do when we recognize our sin?  We should cry out for mercy and repent. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to walk in your way- the whole way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment