Monday, May 7, 2018

Saul is called by Samuel

19“I am the seer,” Samuel replied. “Go up ahead of me to the high place, for today you are to eat with me, and in the morning I will send you on your way and will tell you all that is in your heart. 20As for the donkeys you lost three days ago, do not worry about them; they have been found. And to whom is all the desire of Israel turned, if not to you and your whole family line?”
21Saul answered, “But am I not a Benjamite, from the smallest tribe of Israel, and is not my clan the least of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin? Why do you say such a thing to me?” (1 Samuel 8) 

Thoughts: Saul thought he was looking for the "seer" or prophet Samuel in order to find out where his lost donkeys went.  But in fact, God was leading Saul to Samuel to be anointed king of Israel! 
     You may think you are having a bad day- maybe a rotten day- and God changes it completely around into something you didn't think was possible.  Saul felt like he was not worthy.  He looked worthy as he was handsome and a foot taller than average.  But Saul needed to do more than look the part- he needed to be brave and lead.  Saul lacked confidence from the beginning and he never really gained confidence.  He didn't put his confidence in the Lord but in other things, and he therefore always felt unworthy.  Our confidence must ultimately come from the Lord who directs our affairs (like finding donkeys) and who helps us in life. 

Prayer: Let my strength, bravery, and confidence come from you, O Lord.  

No comments:

Post a Comment