Monday, May 21, 2018

David Shows Grace to Saul

17Saul recognized David’s voice and said, “Is that your voice, David my son?”
David replied, “Yes it is, my lord the king.” 18And he added, “Why is my lord pursuing his servant? What have I done, and what wrong am I guilty of? 19Now let my lord the king listen to his servant’s words. If the Lord has incited you against me, then may he accept an offering. If, however, people have done it, may they be cursed before the Lord! They have driven me today from my share in the Lord’s inheritance and have said, ‘Go, serve other gods.’ 20Now do not let my blood fall to the ground far from the presence of the Lord. The king of Israel has come out to look for a flea—as one hunts a partridge in the mountains.”
21Then Saul said, “I have sinned. Come back, David my son. Because you considered my life precious today, I will not try to harm you again. Surely I have acted like a fool and have been terribly wrong.”
22“Here is the king’s spear,” David answered. “Let one of your young men come over and get it.23The Lord rewards everyone for their righteousness and faithfulness. The Lord delivered you into my hands today, but I would not lay a hand on the Lord’s anointed. 24As surely as I valued your life today, so may the Lord value my life and deliver me from all trouble.”
25Then Saul said to David, “May you be blessed, David my son; you will do great things and surely triumph.”
So David went on his way, and Saul returned home. (1 Samuel 26) 

Thoughts: For about six chapters in the Bible, it records Saul's hunt for David.  David was a general, but Saul was jealous of him.  David went from wilderness, to cave, to the Philistine enemy and the Moabite enemy. Twice David tried to show Saul he meant him no harm.  Once when Saul went into a cave, David cut off a piece of his robe and showed him later he could have killed him.  In this passage David showed he meant no harm by stealing Saul's spear while he slept without killing him. Not once does David degrade or insult Saul, even though Saul made David a refugee. 
    We can all learn from David.  He was creative in showing he meant no harm.  He was willing to sacrifice something of himself to show he was on Saul's side.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to be creative in showing kindness and care for others.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment