Wednesday, April 23, 2014

4/24/14- Peter Reinstated

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.  (John 21:15-17)

Thoughts:  Peter had denies Jesus three times and was despondent and depressed.  Apparently he was leading the men to go back to fishing as he had failed at being a disciple..  He was bolder than most, but then he cowered. Jesus had to do something dramatic to encourage him.
So he asked him three times "do you love me?"   Three times Peter replied yes. Love erases denial.  We are all called to love Jesus.  Jesus then gave him a purpose and a calling again- to feed His sheep.  Those of us who have messed up need not only the assurance that we can be forgiven, but also direction and purpose.
The sheep, of course, is the Church- the flock of Jesus.  Peter was called to feed the followers of Christ with His teaching and His love.  Jesus most often does not feed His church directly, but feeds the Church- His sheep through us.

Prayer: Lord, help me to know my calling and my purpose in serving you.

Water front view of Sea of Galilee where Church of the Seven Springs (traditional site of Peter's restoration occured).  



No comments:

Post a Comment