Friday, August 12, 2016

Who Do You Race For?

6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Tim. 4:7-8)

Thoughts: Paul knew his time was coming to a close.  But he could rejoice in how he finished.  Jesus similarly said, "It is finished" on the cross.  It is not just the end, but a good finish.  Paul was getting ready to have the door closed on his life.  
      David Boudia competed in the Beijing Olympics in diving.  He admits that he was out for his own glory and his own money. He thought if he could medal he would find happiness in life.  David finished fifth and tenth in his events and left the Olympics empty handed and empty-hearted.  He began a life of self destructive partying in college.  He called his coach one night lost.  His coach introduced him to Jesus Christ noting that Christ can give you a purpose and a reason to do your best.  David's approach to the 2012 games was totally different.  Diving was not his life, but means to honor God.  He won the gold in the 10 metre platform.  In Rio he won the silver already in the men's synchronized 10m platform.  It is one thing to live your life- or run your race for yourself.  It is another to live and run for God.  Paul found satisfaction that he had a purpose that was fulfilled in his life.  

Prayer: Lord let your purpose fill my life. May my race be run for you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment