Monday, December 17, 2012

12/18- Hope inthe Midst of Sadness


Tuesday- 12/18- Ps. 43:5- Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet  praise him, my Savior and my God.

Thoughts: It is not that Christians do not get downcast.  David, Job, Elijah, even Jesus had moments when they felt forsaken by God.  Jesus cried tears of blood. "Jesus wept." That is the shortest and one of the most meaningful verses in the Bible.  It is not a sin to be sad.  But we should not give up faith and hope.  Even in tough times it is possible to have faith and hope.  Job said, “Though he slay me, yet I will hope in Him” (13:15).  Joseph and Mary may have had some sad moments.  Maybe when Joseph was deciding to put Mary away quietly, or when she was forced to ride a donkey 90 miles while nine months pregnant, and then finding no inn.  Christmas is finding hope in unusual places- like in a manger.  We should always have the hope- even the hope of heaven- that we will yet praise Him.

(Left- Job by Bonnat)

Prayer: May I always find courage and faith to put my hope in you, Lord.
Application: Name one thing that is wrong in your life that you will purposefully hope in God to get you through.

Come, Thou long expected Jesus, Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us; Let us find our rest in Thee. Israel’s strength and consolation , Hope of all the earth Thou art;
dear desire of every nation, Joy of every longing heart
. (PH #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment