Tuesday, December 4, 2012

12/4/12- Christmas and children


Tuesday- December 4
Hosea 11:1-4; 8-9 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.  The more I* called them, the more they went from me;* they kept sacrificing to the Baals, and offering incense to idols. Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my* arms; but they did not know that I healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with bands of love.  I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks.* I bent down to them and fed them. How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, O Israel?... My heart recoils within me;
my compassion grows warm and tender.
I will not execute my fierce anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim; for I am God and no mortal, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come in wrath.

Christmas comes alive in the eyes of children.  My heart melts hearing a little one sing “Away in a Manager” or watching them wonder at all the candles in church on Christmas Eve. I remember my boys searching the night sky for Santa and putting reindeer food on our lawn. It is hard as an adult to remember that we are God’s children and He rejoices in our wonder at His goodness and glory.  He is moved to see us re-experience the joy of His Son’s birth in the manager each Christmas. The prophet Hosea captured our Heavenly Father’s compassion, care, and love for us.  He speaks of the nation of Israel as a beloved toddler learning to walk with help of His daddy’s strong hand. He speaks of God delighting in kissing an infant’s cheeks and bending down to feed a young child, tenderly caring for their every need. But the child rebels and behaves worse than any toddler having a tantrum.  So too we sin and chase after the idols we form for ourselves and repay the loving-kindness of God with our own willful actions that can only harm us. But God’s love never fails.  God mourns over His rebellious children and cries “How can I give you up!” Instead of the punishment we deserve, God allows our sins to punish Him! He secures our salvation when we could not do so ourselves and despite our mistreatment of Him. The ultimate demonstration of love begins in the manger in Bethlehem. We are truly beloved children of the Most High! *
Prayer: As you delivered your people and your Son out of Egypt, deliver me from my trouble this day, Lord.  Not because I deserve it, but because of your great love, save me from my tribulations.
Application: Name one time that God has helped or delivered you in the last ten years. Try to encourage one person today with your hope.



I the Lord of sea and sky, I have heard my people cry.  All who dwell in deepest sin, My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night, I will make their darkness bright, Who will bear my light to them, whom shall I send?
Here I am, Lord. Is it I Lord?  I have heard you calling in the night. 
I will go Lord, if you lead me.  I will hold your people in my heart.
  (PH #515- Daniel Schutte 1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment