Tuesday, July 29, 2014

2 Corinthians 11- Paul's hardship

24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? (2 Cor. 11)

Thoughts: Paul did not have an easy road.  What made him continue?  It was not that he was forced to by weapons.  People tried to force him to recant by weapons and whipping- both Jews and Gentiles.  He has suffered- without nourishment, shelter, and clothing- the very basics of life.  Obviously Paul had a great purpose that drove him on- that kept him from being distracted. Paul knew the power of the Gospel to change a person for the better.  His purpose was to pass that great news on.  It was not a news of comfort- sometimes just the opposite.  But the love of Christ makes us numb to the torture of the world, and pushes us out of our comfort zone and selfishness to a higher purpose. 
     Out of his love for Christ, he not only was able to push through hardship, but he had extra sympathy and love for those who accepted the message.  This is a glimpse into the hardship, love and soul of Paul.  

Prayer: Lord, let me not lose sight of you.  You endured the cross for me.  Help me to endure my crosses for you and your glory.  Thank you for saints like Paul who were willing to sacrifice so that the Gospel would be spread even to me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment