Saturday, September 6, 2014

9/7/14- Face to Face

3I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 5I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. (2 Timothy 1)

Thoughts: Paul is speaking of how we got the faith.  He had it handed down to him from his ancestors while Timothy received his from his mother Eunice and grandmother, Lois.  Timothy's father was a Greek and probably a pagan.  But Timothy was one of the great saints, and a great friend of Paul.  So today, only one parent's faith is necessary for baptism of a child in most churches that baptize or dedicate children.  But we should not discount the importance of the opportunity and ability of passing faith onto our children.  
       Paul says he longs to see his face.  In our day of virtual presence, it is still important to see in our face. Bonhoeffer in his book "Life Together" notes the different kinds of fellowship- such as receiving of a letter.  Today we might add an email from a missionary far away; or a facebook message/twitter/text.  But even when Paul writes he still longs to see his friend face to face.  Moses knew God but he still wanted to see his face.  John that Apostle, wanted to see his "children in the faith" face to face and not just with paper and ink. There is something about seeing another's face that is encouraging.  A Christian in exile or isolated is encouraged by the face of another believer.  Worship and physical presence is important.  

Prayer: Lord, I long to see you.  But I also long for your people who embody your love and presence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment