Wednesday, October 1, 2014

10/2/14- Day 5 40 Days of Fellowship Strengthen Others

10/2- Thursday- Luke 22:32- But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Bonhoeffer “We enter into that common life not as demanders but as thankful recipients…we do not complain of what God does not give us; we rather thank God for what He does give us.”

Thoughts: I like Simon Peter for he succeeds with gusto calling Jesus “the Christ the Son of the living Lord” and he fails with gusto- not wanting Jesus to go to the cross in his next statement (to which Jesus said “get behind me Satan!).  He gets out of the boat in gusto but sinks in the waves in fear.  He claims to follow Christ anywhere but then denies Jesus three times.  But Jesus was always praying for him- as He prays for us.  Jesus knows when we will fail him and when we will come back.  His advice to Peter was that when he came back to “strengthen your brothers.”  Peter answered this call, and led the early church in encouragement.  This is our call as well- to not just strengthen myself- but in love to strengthen the brothers and sisters of our fellowship. 


Prayer: Lord save me from myself that I may be used by you.  Help me to strengthen others with the strength and grace you give me.  




No comments:

Post a Comment