Thursday, October 2, 2014

10/3/14- Day 6 Forty Days of Fellowship- Team

10/3- Friday- John 13:34,35, 15:12- 34“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Bonhoeffer: “Not what a man is in himself as a Christian, his spirituality and piety, constitutes the basis of our community…Our community with one another consists solely in what Christ has done to both of us.”

Thoughts: Christianity is a team religion.  While it is possible to be a Christian in isolation (in exile, in sickness or nursing home, or prison), ideally we are better together.  We are a religion not of things to do or commandments to obey as much as a faith of love.  Love involves others- calling us out of isolation to work together, to help those who are weak.  Love means laying down our lives- as Jesus did for us.  This does not mean martyring our bodies needlessly.  But it does mean thinking of and living for others more than ourselves. Team work means knowing our team, trusting each other, using the different talents and abilities we have to compliment each other.  As we love each other and work together, it attracts people to us.  If we can love each other despite our differences, then we are showing the world we are His disciples.

Suggested Mission: Send someone an email in the church that you do not know well, thanking them for their work for the church- maybe an elder or deacon.  


Prayer: Lord, let your love rule me.  Help me to learn to love you, neighbor and enemy more than I love myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment