Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 18- Devotion as a Part of Fellowship

10/16- Thursday- Psalm 73:25-27 25Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.26My flesh and my heart may fail,  but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Bonhoeffer: “The Psalter is the great school of prayer. Here we learn first what prayer means…second what we should pray…and third teach us to pray as a fellowship.”

Thoughts: This verse defines devotion.  The heart of the Psalmist is devoted, dedicated, and focused on God.  To the writer, God is more important than anything or anyone in heaven or on earth.  Jesus said is like this, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, then all these things shall be added to you.”   Moses put it like this, “You shall have no other gods before me.”  But this is not an imperative or a command but a heart speaking in love.  If we really focus on the love and care of God all other desires may fade.  To the secular everything is god but God, and all the distractions of life come before the Creator and all-important purpose-giver in life.  God’s love is greater than any human love. God’s grace is better than any human graciousness. God’s hope is unlimited compared to any human hope.  God’s strength is Almighty compared to the mightiest ruler or strongest human.  He is worthy of all our love- heart, mind, soul, strength.  If we can say this kind of love is our goal, our fellowship with both God and each other will be increased and blessed.


Prayer: May my heart be as your heart. May my heart be yours.  May my love be one with your love, and may my love not be distracted by anything else.  




No comments:

Post a Comment