Sunday, November 30, 2014

2nd day of advent- I am the light

12/1- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

Thoughts: Jesus repeated this claim according to John’s eyewitness testimony.  John 9:5 He says, “While I am in the world, I am the Light of the World” (see also John 12:46).  This is a bit different from His saying recorded in Matthew 5:14 which Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount discourse.  The saying that “You are the light of the world” is indicating that we are to be witnesses to the true Light- as the moon reflects the sun’s light.  But in John, Jesus is the light- to be followed.  He is the One who is the guiding light- leading us out of the chaos and hopelessness of darkness into light and hope. 
      Getting in the Christmas spirit means lighting up.  Put lights on a Christmas tree, or an electronic candle in your window.  This is a testimony that you are a follower of the light.  December is the darkest month of the year. It is also a time when more people see counselors and more people are depressed.  We can have hope because of Christ.  He is the light at the end of the tunnel.  He gives us meaning and direction.  We can point to His light by simply putting Christmas lights out- as a sign that we still celebrate the coming of the light of the world into our dark lives.


Prayer: Lord, you are worthy of my trust and hope- for you are my light.  Help me to reflect your hope in how I speak and act this advent season.  Let your light shine through me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment