Monday, June 22, 2015

Heidelberg 56

18Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of your possession? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in showing clemency. 19He will again have compassion upon us; he will tread our iniquities under foot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)

Thoughts: Forgiveness means forgiving our past.  People who think nothing can change, that we must just live under the burden and guilt of our pain are wrong.  Forgiveness is a process, but forgiveness must start somewhere.  When forgiveness takes a first step- guilt, hatred, and evil flee away.  The longest journey begins with a first step.  Beginning to say "I forgive you" shows a willingness to try in the moment and for the future.
    Many of the families of those killed in Emmanuel AME Church taught us much about forgiveness.  It was not easily given.  Neither was forgiveness easily given when Christ said, "Father forgive them they know not what they do."  But it is that attitude of forgiveness- not bitterness, not revenge, not hate over the past- that makes a difference. 
       Forgiveness of God means He leaves the past behind and accepts us.  We do not need to continue to wrestle with the mistakes of the past.  Learn from them- yes- but be defeated by them- no.  Christ has paid for our sins.  His eternal righteousness and purity overwhelms our mistakes, failures, guilt, and evil.  

Prayer: Help me, Lord, to forgive and accept.  Help me to forgive as you have forgiven me.    
Q & A 56
Q. What do you believe concerning “the forgiveness of sins”?
A. I believe that God, because of Christ’s satisfaction, will no longer remember any of my sinsor my sinful nature which I need to struggle against all my life.Rather, by grace God grants me the righteousness of Christ to free me forever from judgment.3

No comments:

Post a Comment