Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Song Instead of Grumbling

1Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
2Let us come before him with thanksgiving
and extol him with music and song...
Today, if only you would hear his voice,
8“Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,a
as you did that day at Massahb in the wilderness,
9where your ancestors tested me;
they tried me, though they had seen what I did.
10For forty years I was angry with that generation;
I said, ‘They are a people whose hearts go astray,
and they have not known my ways.’ (Psalm 95)

Thoughts: The people of God faced difficult times- and they handled it by grumbling, doubting, and pride.  They had escaped from Egypt and from the mightiest army, but they were without water.  They hardened their hearts and wondered if God had left them, or even existed.  Because they doubted God and turned away they incurred God's disappointment and anger- for He had provided everything for them- even manna in the desert every day.  God, however, was not God to just the generation that left Egypt.  He is God from generation to generation.  In contrast to turning away is this call to worship and song to the Lord.  Worship and singing is always a sign of hope. Whereas grumbling and skepticism is a sign of wanting more control- and not having it.  Come and sing on the Lord's Day in a house of worship. 

Prayer: Lord, give me a song in my heart and on my lips to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment