Monday, November 9, 2015

The Forever Song

1I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever;
with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
through all generations.
2I will declare that your love stands firm forever,
that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
3You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant,
4‘I will establish your line forever
and make your throne firm through all generations.’ " (Psalm 89"1-4)

Thoughts: The concept of eternity or forever is hard to grasp with our finite minds.  But the idea becomes clearer if we take it one generation (or 40 year bite) at a time.  "Through all generations" is synonymous with forever, but it is saying a bit more.  The promises of God are not just winning out at the end- they are valid in the present and in the midst of every lifetime- every generation.
     The song we will sing is not just for now.  It is a song that we will sing now, in the future of our lives, at the end of this life, and in the life to come.  It is a song we can sing- a song of God's great love- forever (vs. 1).
       The promises and reality of God and His love are not irrelevant to us.  In fact, they are the most relevant thing in this life.  All else- all the toys, all the entertainment and sports, all the distractions, all the work, all the stuff of life is secondary.  We are not made merely to pass the time in play, study, and work.  We are made for a much higher purpose by an eternal, loving being whose song we can sing now and forever. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to sing of you- from my soul and consistently.  May my life be a song added to the millions of other voices in your choir that echo your love song.  








No comments:

Post a Comment