Monday, November 23, 2015

Thanksgiving and Blessing

4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 

5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.  (1 Timothy 4:4,5)

Thoughts: Ingratitude makes what is good bad-- Just like fussing at supper makes even the best of foods taste sour.  Gratitude over food blesses the food.  I have been to other countries and seen food that I would never touch eaten and enjoyed with gratitude.  Food like squid or locusts may seem terrible to me, but to a really hungry person (or someone who likes this food), this is food that keeps them satisfied and alive.    Their gratitude enables them to eat it whereas my ingratitude would keep me hungry.  The point is not that saying a blessing makes alcoholic or drug infested drink/food non-toxic.  To be able to eat food with thanksgiving requires we not seek to bless what is unhealthy, or seek to overindulge because we can.  Rather, thanksgiving to God means we seek to please God with the what and how of what we eat.  For the alcoholic to thank God for what would poison their liver would be an abuse of thanksgiving.  True thanksgiving, by its nature requires a measure of holiness. 

Prayer: Lord, may the way I give thanks and what I give thanks for honor you.  Thank you for your blessings in life.  May I use these blessings in honorable ways in order to honor and serve you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment