Sunday, May 1, 2016

Don't Make Me Come Back There!

18Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. 19But I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only how these arrogant people are talking, but what power they have. 20For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. 21What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a gentle spirit?  (1 Corinthians 4:18-21)

Thoughts: So my father used to say when we were acting up in the car, "Don't make me come back there."  We didn't believe he would ever- all talk and no words.  But one time he did stop the car, and then we knew we were in trouble- but we deserved it.  So Paul, who loved the Corinthians as a parent loves their children, did not want to rebuke them with harshness.  Yet, he knew that all talk and no action means nothing.  Christian talk with no power means little too.  Answers to prayer, changed lives, healed marriages are signs of the Spirit working in our midst.  The Christian life is not just reading a book written by Christians.  The Christian life is the power of the resurrection at work, drawing people to Himself.

Prayer: Lord, forgive us when wesin.  Have mercy on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment