Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Reward of Preaching

5But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast. 16For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. 18What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18)

Thoughts: Paul would rather die of no food than receive food and then people to claim he preached out of greed.  As it is, Paul said people ought to be paid, but he used his freedom to restrain from demanding payment that they might focus on Christ.
     "My reward" is to fulfill my calling.  In the end, this is always the true preacher's reward.  It is not getting a bigger church, a more respected position.  It is pleasing God that is important.  Paul says, "Woe to me if I did not preach the gospel."  If Paul just made tents he might make more money- but he would not be better off.  Today there are people who are full of woe- discontent with their work because they have not answered the call of God- as hard as it may be to answer today.  


Prayer: Lord, let me hear your Spirit.  Let my ultimate reward for everything I do be found in your smile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment