Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Giving up Rights (even apostolic ones)

1Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?2Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. (1 Cor. 9:1,2)

Thoughts: Paul had been talking about freedom as a Christian to claim certain rights or refuse to claim them out of deference to the Lord or others.  He has great rights as an apostle.  His credentials as an apostle are that he has seen the Lord and that his ministry has borne fruit from God.  The Corinthians themselves owe their existence to Paul's apostolic (missionary) calling.  Yet Paul doesn't claim any rights as an apostle.  Rather he casts his crown at the feet of the king of Kings.  We should do the same.  If we think we are something then we are really nothing.  

Prayer: Lord, all that I have and am are yours.  Let my life bear fruit for you as I give my all to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment