Sunday, May 29, 2016

Losing Our Freedom to Free Others

19Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

Thoughts: Paul was saying he was willing to lose his freedom to free others.  Though he was a free man, he was willing (and he in fact was many times) to become a prisoner for the Gospel.  Paul would accommodate, going down to the level of his hearers, listening to where they were coming from in order that people might hear the Gospel.  Paul would be the best Jew around in order to gain an audience for the Jews to hear the Gospel.  Paul would not claim his pedigree as a Roman citizen except rarely and that in the face of officials.  Paul would not claim his education rights.  Instead, he came down to the level of his hearers that they might respond to the good news of Christ.  If we wish to share the hope we have in Christ, then we need to listen to the needs and context of those who would hear.  Jesus accommodated Himself for us.  He came down to our level that we might believe that God cares for us and understands us.  Paul was following Jesus' example, and so should we.  

Prayer: Lord, let me use the gifts and freedom you give me to reach others for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment