Monday, May 30, 2016

Run the Race

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) 

Thoughts: Corinth was home to the isthmian Games which were second only to the Olympic Games in importance.  The imagery Paul used reminded them of their training and the discipline it took to be a first class athlete.  Paul was willing to give up his freedom so others would be set free.  He was willing to discipline himself so the Gospel would spread.
    He was asking the Corinthians to see the importance of spreading the faith.  He was asking them to keep the eye on the prize- the goal of spreading the good news to others.  He was willing to discipline his body to achieve a higher purpose.  Paul was reminding the Corinthians that they have a higher purpose, a goal for their lives now, and they should not let the little things in life get int he way.  


Prayer: Lord, you give me a purpose and direction. You have placed me here and called me for a reason.  

Ancient pottery drawings of Greek games

No comments:

Post a Comment