Monday, May 8, 2017

Acknowledging the Good

26“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.b 30And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
32“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven. (Matthew 10:26-33) 

Thoughts: Christ is saying the good will come out so we should acknowledge the good openly now.  The bad will be revealed as bad in the end.  The good will be revealed as good.  So Jesus takes the next step and asks them to reveal what he says quietly.
     The reason we do not need to be afraid of those who persecute us is that they will be revealed in the end too.  They may kill what will die anyway- the body (or the mind), but they cannot kill the eternal soul.  But we should remember God is in charge of us- body and soul.  Nothing dies without his care- not even a sparrow.  Not even a hair falls away without his knowledge and care.
    In the end, we need to recognize Jesus is Lord, and claim Him.  If we disown Him, God will disown us.  These are nerve-wracking words.  But Christ is telling us to acknowledge what is real and believe in Him.  Believing in Him means to trust He will win in the end and prove Himself to be good and true- not wrong and false.  

Prayer: Lord, you care for me more than I know.  Help me to acknowledge your care and your goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment