Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Families and Christ

34“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn
“ ‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’c
37“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. (Matthew 10:34-39)

Thoughts: Micah 7:6 bemoans when families do not get along as it affects faith: "For the son treats the father with contempt, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; your enemies are members of your own household."  Jesus goes down the same list but says He has come to set these against each other.
     Jesus is not against families.  Matthew 19 records that Jesus affirms that God joins people together, and Jesus affirms that we should honor our father and mother.  In John Jesus makes sure his mother is cared for before he dies.
        Yet Jesus also knows that if people love family in the place of God.  In his day some parents may not want their Jewish children to follow Jesus or their pagan children to follow Christ.  So there are times when parental opinion should not be valued above God's will.
       Families are important when they encourage us in the good and eternal good. But families can be harmful when they encourage us to be bad or to not believe. In Japan, not many believe because they worship the tradition of the family.  Families are very important if they are leading their children in the right direction to God. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for families.  Keep me from worshiping them by valuing them and their time over God.  


No comments:

Post a Comment