Wednesday, May 17, 2017

He lightens our Burden

28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Thoughts: Truth is, part of being human is that we grow weary and become burdened.  We all yearn for real satisfying rest.  But the best satisfaction in life does not come from any human accomplishment, but from the God who made the earth and also makes rest.  Marx says we are designed to work.  But we are also designed to rest.  We must sleep.  If we deprive ourselves of sleep, all kinds of health issues occur.  The rhythm of life- where work, rest, and sleep occur is important.  But Jesus offers us inner rest and inner peace.  Life is not just about excitement and achievement.  Inner peace that Jesus offers not only gives us a breath, it also motivates us.  Christ keeps us form being so tightly wound that we cannot enjoy life.
   The idea of "take my yoke upon you" is a bit hidden from us today.  An ox yoke usually was a double yoke for two oxen. Often a lead ox will do the main pulling and a student ox would learn (as in picture below).  Jesus is saying He will be pulling alongside us bearing the brunt of the load.  He is the gentle, humble ox who quietly helps us even when we don't realize it.  He lightens our burden and takes the edge off of our weary and burdened life.  


Prayer: Lord, I come to you.  You are my source of rest, peace, and help me to carry on.   


No comments:

Post a Comment