Saturday, May 27, 2017

My brother and sister

46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”
48He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” (Matthew 12:46-50)

Thoughts: Jesus was not elevating friends over family here.  But he was elevating those who were in the family of faith to family status.  Jesus often saw his mother, brothers, and sisters.  His mother was with him at the cross and he told John to take care of her.  But it is true that when family rejects you for your faith, you still have a family in those who do God's will.  It is also true that when family dies or moves there are those who do God's will who comfort us and strengthen us.   In our day of mobile families, where the average American family moves about 12 times in their lifetime, church families add moral and loving stability.  We often and rightly call church members "brother" or "sister."  In Christ we have a common Father who gives us life but also a common Lord whom we follow. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to value my church family and those who are in it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment