Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Hope In what we do not see


12/19- Believing Even When the Sun is Not Shining

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1)
  The old inscription in the Nazi concentration camp said, “I believe in the sun even when its not shining; I believe in love even when I am alone; I believe in God even when He is silent.”  This is hope.  And faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” 
    To be able to be certain of your hope is what faith is all about.  So in some ways, faith is based on hope.  The question of faith, therefore is what do you hope for, and what do you hope in?  Our hope is in God.  But God gives us content to the objective hope that becomes our own subjective hope.  There is a solid hope out there.  We do not make it up.  We do not simply guess. There is a basis for our hope.  It is found in the person of Jesus the Christ.  He came down to show us hope.  He cam down to show us that God indeed cares enough to come down- this is love.  He came down and died as a sacrifice to show us the extent and depth of His love.  But the resurrection and the ascension are the great miracles that testify to the reality and basis of our hope.  We believe in victory- not simply because we have a good team.  We believe in victory because He has already won. 
     I like to watch Youtube videos of my teams past football victories (it cuts out the commercials and speeds up the game).  When I do this sometimes I can get anxious- the team falls behind, drops a great pass, misses a sure tackle.  I can get anxious.  But then I remember- the victory has already been won!  Then I have a hope that eases my anxiety.  To believe is to put your trust in the hope and your faith in the God who wins.  You may not feel like you are winning, but the victory has already been secured. 
Prayer:  Lord, give me grace to put my hope in you.  In the valleys as well as the mountains may I be faithful to you in my hope and love. 
Song: #130- Break forth O beauteous heavenly light and usher in thr morning.  You shepherds shudder not with fright, but hear the angel’s warning.  His child now weak in infancy, our confidence and joy shall be, the power of Satan breaking, our peace eternal making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment