Friday, December 28, 2018

Putting Christmas Away

“Where is the One who has been born King of the Jews? We saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”
8And sending them to Bethlehem, he [Herod] said: “Go and search carefully for the Child, and when you find Him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship Him.”


Many people are thinking- when shall I put my Christmas decorations up?  For Protestant liturgical churches January 6 is Epiphany when we put our decorations up*.  But that is not in the Bible- and Calvin would say it is a superfluous. 
    But some do not just put Christmas away- they put Christ away.  To love God doesn't mean to love and worship Him only one day a year.  Yet, one day a year is better than no days a year- as so many just drift into apathetic non-practice and eventually apathetic unbelief.  It is amazing that we can be apathetic to the One who made us, came to earth for us, and gave His life that we might live.  Our spiritual enemy would love to have us think God- who made and loves us- is irrelevant or powerless.  He would also like anything to get in the way- a bad word from a church member, a poor sermon, an off-key anthem, busy-ness, a cold shoulder, tough times, embarrassment for sin or misconception, or whatever.  When I was dating my wife, I would let anything- any naysayer, problem, headache or whatever get in my way of dating her.  It was important to me because of love.  When you love God you want to spend time with the One you love- including God.  The wise men came to pay homage.  Herod faked homage in order to try to get rid of his supposed rival.  Herod wanted to put Christ away forever.  Let Christ be a part of your ending year and your coming year. 

Prayer: Lord, Let me remember you, putting you first in my life all year long.   

Orthodox churches celebrate Crhsitmas January 7 Armenian on January 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment