Saturday, October 27, 2018

Thoughts on Witchcraft

16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever c you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5) 

Thoughts: I used to brush off that witchcraft was still alive in America. But as people fall away from God, lack faith, they turn somewhere.  When I lived in Asheville, NC pastors would tell me about converts from Wicca who said there were covens there of 13 each praying against the pastors.  Again, I dismissed such talk.  However, more and more there was an anti-Christian bias.  City zoning laws were passed saying churches could not have food pantries or care for the homeless. Most were struck down in courts.  However, shortly after I left, a new mayor, Leni Sitnick, was elected who made a proclamation in 1999 for "Earth Based Religions Awareness Week."  Such a proclamation immediately divided the Christian community into those who did not care, those who took offense, and those who held up religious tolerance.  Many quoted from the Old Testament Israelite theocratic proclamation of the nation that did not tolerate other faiths in their borders.  But the main point was missed.  There are many growing practitioners of neo-pagan earth based religion.  The Apostle Paul pointed to the gravity of witchcraft speaking of it as simply what is proclaimed by them- an earth-based religion- that does not care (or want to) go to heaven.  There is a way of the Holy Spirit and there is a way of the flesh.  Earth based religions like Wicca and Druidism seek to manipulate earthly things to achieve their will.  Some witches proclaim that they are "good witches" but that is left undefined.  When we turn away from God to other gods- developing our own way- we are putting other gods before the One who made heaven and earth.  This is a breaking of the very first commandment (Thou shalt have no other gods before me).  Paul (and the early Christians) ministered in the midst of paganism.  They did not call for the death of pagans or witches but they did not shrink back from saying there is a better way.  What we believe matters.  We can focus on magic, spells, drugs (associated with some earth based religions) where the emphasis is on feeling and manipulating nature; or we can focus on the God who loves us and offers us eternal life.  Many have turned to Christ from paganism and witchcraft before.  They found it inadequate and more harmful than helpful.  We would do well to remember Druidism's child sacrifice to the Lord of the dead (the basis of the fear of witches grabbing children) and throwing them into the bonefire (bonfire).   In Ephesus millions of dollars of spells were burned as people realized that such things were powerless compared to the power of Christ to forgive, give meaning, give hope, strengthen, give life and heal (Acts 19).  Such things have been repeated many times- and today in other countries (like South Sudan) the shamans/witches are fading into the darkness. Strange that we forget the lessons of history and we go back to find that manipulating earth and others is not the way to go.  We do not pray "My kingdom come, my will be done" or "may the kingdom of my witch come and their will be done."  Rather we pray, "Father, thy kingdom come, thy will be done."  The will of the Father is that we know Him and know of His love for us, not being distracted by false gods and spells. 

Prayer: Lord, there are many who choose earth and darkness over heaven and light.  Let me not be among them.  Let me choose spirit over flesh, love over manipulation, eternal life over this temporary life.  

After thought: The Real St. Patrick is a great one to study in terms of the contrast between Christianity and druidism/earth-based religions.  Christians long ago replaced the pagan "Samhain" with its tricks, spells, threats of death and darkness with "All Hallow's Eve" (shortened to Hallow'een or Halloween).  

ST. PATRICK'S BREASTPLATE PRAYER (Against the spells of Druids)
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.
I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth with His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion with His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection with His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgment of doom.
I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In the obedience of angels,
In the service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In the predictions of prophets,
In the preaching of apostles,
In the faith of confessors,
In the innocence of holy virgins,
In the deeds of righteous men.
I arise today, through
The strength of heaven,
The light of the sun,
The radiance of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The speed of lightning,
The swiftness of wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of the earth,
The firmness of rock.
I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptation of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near.
I summon today
All these powers between me and those evils,
Against every cruel and merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul;
Christ to shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that there may come to me an abundance of reward.
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,


  

1 comment: