Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Eve

We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true.  And we are in him whom who is true- even in his Son Jesus Christ,  He is the true God and eternal life.  (1 John 5:20)

It is Christmas Eve- a time of great anticipation and the final countdown.  Maybe the relatives are coming.  Maybe the food has to cook.  Maybe it is time to get ready for church.  In some ways, Christmas Eve, for me, is more exciting than Christmas itself.  The great anticipation is even more exciting than the coming.  So waiting for the sun to come up- and when it first comes may seem more thrilling than when it is shining at noon day. 
The good news is that we don't have to do some liturgical pretense that Jesus has not come until Christmas Day 2019.  He has come and comes to us every day.  We are celebrating the greatest birthday for God became man.  He left his comfortable home for us- in utter humility.  While we wait, He has already come. 
Once I was waiting to meet someone at the airport I had never met.  He was a theologian of the first measure and was famous in Europe.  I was sent there by my professor to meet him and I held up a sign with his name.  I waited and waited, but his flight had arrived early (this was before cell phones and google abilities to check on flights), and he had already made his way to the seminary.   I was waiting on someone who had already come and was quite frustrated and impatient for nothing.  God has come and we can have peace. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you that you have come to light up my darkness 


No comments:

Post a Comment