Wednesday, December 25, 2019

The Innkeeper's Helper

Merry Christmas!  The devotion today was the 11:00 soliloquy sermon.

THE INNKEEPER’S HELPER Luke 2:1-8, 15-20  Preached at Lake Murray Presbyterian’s 11:00 service.
This is a soliloquy or narrative sermon in which the preacher is a character in the Christmas story. 

The Inn was crowded that night long ago.  The streets were crowded too.  A census was to be taken by Roman law so that we could pay them taxes.  Everyone was to go back to their ancestral home.  Many claimed David as King and David was born here in Bethlehem.  We swelled from about 3,000 people to about 50,000 overnight.  There was no room for anyone. 
   I was the Innkeeper’s helper.  In fancier hotels I would be called a concierge.  But here I was just a helper.   I carried bags.  I fed the livestock and placed them for the night.  I brought the water in for people- for there was only one well in the center of town.  I gave directions. My job was to do whatever would help the Innkeeper and whatever would help our guests to be comfortable. 
    Most people came early to the inn.  We had the rich people, and the nobles.  We ran a respectable inn there were no harlots or gamblers allowed.  The inn filled up early.  On the second day a man and his woman came to the inn late.  They had the normal price for a room, but by then everything had gone up.  There were really no rooms left.  No one could make early reservations so it was first come first served.  But besides that the woman was pregnant.  But they were not quite married.  We did not let couples who were not married sleep in our inn together anyway.  But that really didn’t matter- there was no real room. 
    The innkeeper told me to show them where the stable was while he manned the desk.  I got an oil lamp and showed them.  It wasn’t great- but it was better than sleeping out on the street.  Besides, it looked like she was going to have a baby any minute.   They seemed honest- I didn’t have to worry about their stealing anything.  They just wanted a private place where they could sleep.  They had come the 60 mile journey from Nazareth in the hill country. 
    I marveled at their patience.  They had traveled far on a hard road, and she looked so tired and exhausted.  Yet she was kind and thanked me for showing them the stable, and making room for them beside the food trough.  The man had more patience than I could think for someone claiming that they were from the king’s line.  He was not demanding, only asking and was considerate of me- a poor innkeeper’s helper.  He asked me my name and seemed to take time to be concerned for me- just a helper.
     The stable was a cave in the hill.  It was ideal for animals- with a constant temperature.  I brought them a few oil lamps because it was dark.  After they got settled down, I got them water from the town’s well in the center of town.  It was dark when I went- after the meal was served in the inn, but they were very grateful for fresh water.  I brought them a little bread left over from the meal that night.  Much later I would hear that this man claimed to be living water and the bread of life.  Hard to imagine bringing water and bread to a baby who would later claim to be living water and bread.
      That night, there was a ruckus.  Some shepherds came to the inn looking for a baby in a manger.  They said and angel told them that the real king on David’s throne was born that night.  I told them where the couple was that were about to have a baby.  I was more than excited to lead them back to it.  The baby had come.  There was a stillness over the cave and the animals.  The father and mother looked very tired but appreciative of our coming. 
      The shepherds went everywhere telling all the people what they had seen and heard.  I couldn’t keep the news to myself either.  The innkeeper got a little mad at me, but in the end thought it was good for business as long as the Romans didn’t find out.  To this day, I am still telling the story- a baby was born that night.  The inn, Bethlehem, the world has not been the same since.  I have not been the same.  I am telling you the news just as I told it then, for I hope you too will not be the same.  Each of us is an Innkeeper to decide if there is room for Jesus in our hearts and lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment