Saturday, December 7, 2019

Fear not.  For behold I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be for all the people.  For to you this day is born a savior who is Christ the Lord. 

THOUGHTS:  Darkness brings mystery, uncertainty and a bit of fear.  When the lights are out and I go for a cup of water in the middle of the night my fear is that I will trip over a toy or a dog Frisbee.  I am also a bit uncomfortable that if I turn on the light I will still be blinded with the adjustment my pupils make. 
    The shepherds that first Christmas were probably blinded by the light.  Some of the great paintings depicting this event show the shepherds with their arms over their eyes in a combination of fear and blindness.  But the phrase "fear not" is given many times in the birth narratives of Jesus.  When the angel came to Joseph and Mary he said the same thing (Lk. 2:30;  Mt. 1:20).  The angel told Zechariah to not be afraid (Lk. 1:13).  The message is clearly to all of us- do not be afraid.  There are tidings of comfort and joy available to those who believe.  The fear is not that we will always be comfortable (after all the baby was born in a manger to poor parents).  But the deep inner fear of purposelessness, apathy and lack of love is gone.  The dark way of life has a ray of hope shining in.  Jesus has come to bring peace, abolish fear, and abolish darkness.  In our world of uncertainty there is hope.

Prayer:  Lord, give me grace to not be afraid but to live in your light and hope


No comments:

Post a Comment