Monday, November 3, 2014

11/4/14- Fortieth Day of Forty Days of Fellowship in the Fall

11/4- Tuesday John 17:20-21 20“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Bonhoeffer: “Jesus Christ alone is our unity.  ‘He is our peace.’ Through him alone do we have access to one another, joy in one another, and fellowship with one another.” 

Thoughts: This is Christ’s prayer for you and for me- the church today.  It is a prayer that we in the present and the future would be one.  Some downplay this by saying it is only a spiritual oneness.  Ultimately it is.  But it is also a visible oneness. The church is called to ideally be one both invisibly and as much as possible visibly.  The unity of the church is a great treasure- prayed for by our Lord.  So the things that divide us schism, pride, consumerism, and heresy are to be devalued and we are called to fulfill the prayer of Christ.  We are called to love one another in unity for love and unity of fellowship are eternal gifts of God.  One day we will truly be one in heaven.  But Christ prayed for this unity here.


Prayer; Lord, may we be one as you are one.  Give us grace to answer your prayer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment