Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Jesus at the door- 11-13-14

19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. (Revelation 3) 

Thoughts: Often this verse is individualized.  There is some reason to individualize it as the words are "anyone" and a third person singular.  Yet, this message is in the context of the individual church as a person.  He calls the lukewarm church to repent.  They have left Jesus nearby but at the door.
     We would like to have a little bit of Jesus- have Him close in case we need Him. But for many, we do not want Him to fully come in and take control.  Jesus wants to come in to us and eat with us- a sign of an intimate friendship and relationship.  A church establishes a relationship with Christ when it is purposefully all in for Christ- and not just trying to be lukewarm, sociable, and culturally acceptable.  For Jesus to be outside of His own church's door is a sad thing.  But for Jesus to still be there waiting to come in is a gracious thing. 


Prayer: Lord, come into my heart and the heart of the Church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment