Monday, September 7, 2015

David God's Servant

1I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever;
with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
through all generations.
2I will declare that your love stands firm forever,
that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
3You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant,
4‘I will establish your line forever
and make your throne firm through all generations (Psalm 89)

 the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” (1 Samuel 13:14)

Thoughts: Many times in scripture David is described as "David my servant."  David was the Lord's servant when he was a shepherd boy, a musician, a general, and a king.  David was asking, "What would God want?"  So he sought to build a Temple but God would not let him.  David is also described as "a man after God's own heart." (1 Sam. 13:14; Acts 13:22).
     David was a sinner.  But the difference between Saul and David is that Saul did not turn back to God in repentance (he was always making up excuses and rationalizations).  David could write the beautiful Psalm 51- a Psalm of repentance.  Even when David failed, he pursued God- and did not give up.  David is a witness as a servant of God who sought the heart of God and will of God.  We can learn from him. 

Prayer: Lord, may my heart be as your heart.  May I seek your will and not fail.    

No comments:

Post a Comment