Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Honor and Prayer of Jabez

9Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez,c saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 10Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

Thoughts: The name Jabez means "pain."  This is not only an unpleasant name, but it appears Jabez was fighting against his name throughout his life.  Jabez struggled to be a blessing and find a blessing (rather than finding pain).   His prayer is a good one for anyone to pray.  It is a prayer looking to God on a regular basis for help, for protection and strength.  The enlargement of territory is simply a prayer that God would bless him in whatever he does.  We can learn from Jabez's seeking to be honorable- and seeking the blessing of God.  It is not immoral to ask God to bless you.  Nor is it somehow not God's business to care about us and bless us.  In fact, every blessing we have is not from our own hand, but from God. 

Prayer: Bless me indeed and enlarge my territory, Lord.  May your hand be with me.  Keep me from evil that I may cause no pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment