Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Witness of Solomon's Wisdom

7That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”
8Solomon answered God... 10Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?”
11God said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, 12therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have.” (2 Chronicles 1)

1The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: 2for gaining wisdom and instruction; for understanding words of insight; 3for receiving instruction in prudent behavior, doing what is right and just and fair; 4for giving prudence to those who are simple,knowledge and discretion to the young— 5let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance— 6for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise. 7The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Pr. 1)

16I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.  18For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.  (Ecclesiastes 1)

Thoughts: We can learn from the blessings and the limits of human wisdom from Solomon.  He was said to be the wisest man on earth.  When God asked him for anything- he asked for wisdom- which seemed to please God (so God added other blessings to Solomon).  Solomon pointed out that the first step to getting wisdom is to fear God.
      Yet Solomon, in all his wisdom, knew the limits of wisdom.  In Ecclesiastes he says, "for with much wisdom comes sorrow and grief (1:18).  Solomon was wise enough to make treaties with various surrounding powerful countries by marrying the kings' daughters.  Then he built temples to their gods to make them happy.  Such was a savvy political move- but a move that did not please God.  You can do everything right with human wisdom, but if you have not sought God's will first you lose your direction and hope.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to be wise, but above all please you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment